Written and compiled by Lori Bucarey
Recipe by Lori and Sebastian Bucarey
With New Year’s on its way, I thought I would put together an article on losing weight along with a recipe for Winter Honey Salad. This salad is hearty and flavorful enough to satisfy any winter appetite and elegant enough to be served at any gathering. The ingredients are seasonal which means it will be fresh, accessible and tasty. For the freshest and healthiest ingredients you can shop at your local organic market. Now, if you can also stick to your exercise resolution you will be on your way to a very healthy and happy 2013!
Tips for Losing Weight and Sticking to Your Diet
If you want to lose weight there are a few important aspects to be considered. You will need the desire, commitment, and a solid plan to actualize your goal. In order for any plan to work you have to be specific: how much weight do you want to lose exactly and how are you going to accomplish that? That is how your brain gets motivated. Vague thoughts rarely motivate the brain.
The next thing you want to do is make a “what if” plan and write it down on paper. For example, you may be dining out and you need to ask yourself, “What if the server brings a bread basket?” Think of a plan B, such as, “I will order an iced tea with lemon and drink that while waiting for my meal.” This will make you two or three times more likely to reach your weight loss goals.
Monitor and Think Ahead
Monitor yourself by weighing yourself regularly, exercising regularly and keeping track of both on a calendar. Another tip is to think about the future rather than the past. For example, you lost 10lbs. but have 15lbs. more to go. Instead of focusing on the 10lbs. you lost, focus on the 15lbs. you have yet to lose. You do not want to get too relaxed, thinking, “I already lost 10 pounds, I deserve a break,” because this may dampen your motivation prematurely.
Stay optimistic but realistic. If you accept the fact that losing weight is not easy but truly believe you will succeed anyway, you are much more likely to reach your goals. Thinking that “this will be easy” is a recipe for failure. Those who realize it will be hard tend to plan ahead and put more effort into the process.
Strengthen your willpower by taking baby steps that are obtainable. The more you work at strengthening your willpower the stronger it will get, just like your muscles. The longer you keep at it, the more your capacity for self-control will grow, therefore, dieting will become easier and easier as you go along. This is excellent motivation for sticking to your new year’s resolution of losing weight, eating healthier and living a healthier lifestyle.
Winter Honey Salad
- Cooking time is only about 25 minutes
- Easy to prepare and serves four
- Prep time is only about 15 minutes
- This dish is vegetarian and healthy!
- 1 butternut squash, cut into thin wedges
- 2 red onions, halved and cut into wedges
- Fennel bulbs, cut into wedges
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (try garlic or fennel infused). Half the olive oil is for the vinaigrette and the other half is for roasting the vegetables
- 1-2 tbsp. clear honey
- 1 small ciabatta , roughly torn into pieces (try tomato and olive ciabatta or some other type of flavored ciabatta)
- 1 tbsp. sunflower seeds
- 125g spinach leafs
- 125 g escarole leafs
- 2 tbsps. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 50g crumbled goat’s cheese or feta, if you do not like goat cheese replace with shredded parmesan
- Heat oven to 425
- Put the vegetables into a large roasting tin, drizzle with half the oil and season to taste
- Roast for 20 minutes, turning a few times until they are soft
and then drizzle with honey
- Scatter the torn ciabatta and sunflower seeds over the top and return to the oven and roast for 5 minutes more or until they are toasted
Put the spinach and escarole leafs into a large bowl
- Add vegetables and ciabatta, do not worry if the spinach wilts a little bit
- Whisk the vinegar, mustard and remaining oil together, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toss the salad with the vinaigrette and cheese
- Serve immediately
“5 Habits of Highly Successful Dieters.” Health Magazine. <http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20578444,00.html>.
Cybele Pascal. “How to Make Sunflower Milk.” 18 May 2011. Online image. <http://www.cybelepascal.com/how-to-make-sunflower-milk/>.
The Fresh Loaf. “Ciabatta.” 21 February 2001. Online image. <http://www.thefreshloaf.com/keyword/ciabatta-bread>.
Wallpapers Free. “Clear Jar of Honey.” No date. Online image.<http://www.wallpapers- free.co.uk/background/food_and_drink/honey/jar-of-clear-honey/>.
“Workshop- Winter Vegetable Gardening”. Sunday,7 August 2011. Online Image.<http://winteraug7.eventbrite.com/>.